The Mount Baker School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, honorably-discharged veteran or military status, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, marital status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability in its programs or activities and provides equal access to school facilities to the Boy Scouts of America and all other designated youth groups. District programs and activities will be free from sexual harassment. The following employee has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination:
Mary Sewright, Superintendent
PO Box 95, Deming WA 98244
For further information on notice of non-discrimination, visit U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.
It's the Law
- RCW 49.60, State of Washington's Law Against Discrimination, prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, honorably discharged veteran or military status, sexual orientation, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability.
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color or national origin in programs or activities that receive Federal financial assistance.
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972 prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, sex, religion or national origin.
- Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
- In terms of Section 504 of Public Law 93.112, "No otherwise qualified handicapped individual in the United States ... shall, solely by reason of his handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."
- Childfind (PLlOl-476) Individuals with Disabilities Education Act-School Districts have developed and implemented awareness and screening activities for the purpose of locating, identifying and evaluating resident students who may have a disability and are in need of receiving special education and related services. These procedures encompass students ages birth to 21, regardless of the disability. The Mount Baker School District provides support for you and your child; if anyone suspects a child may have a disabling condition, and if that child resides in the Mount Baker School District, please contact the Special Programs office at 360-383-2012.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) adopted July 26, 1990, the Mount Baker School District prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities in all aspects of employment.
If you have questions or concerns about the above, contact:
Regional Office for Civil Rights
2201 Sixth Ave-M/S: R-11, Seattle WA 98121-1831
Use of School Facilities
In its commitment to serve the local community, Mount Baker School District makes its facilities and equipment available to groups and individuals when not in use by students. All user activities must be appropriate to the mission of the School District.
Fees vary depending on the time involved, type of activity, personnel required and profit or nonprofit classification of the user. Fees must be paid in full prior to the event.
Firearms, explosives, alcoholic beverages, nonprescription substances, and other narcotics are not permitted in school facilities or on school property at any time. Use of tobacco is prohibited in school buildings and on school property. For health & safety reasons, animals, excluding guide-animals are not allowed on school property.
Contact your school building for additional information.