Chemical Spill & Poisoning Procedures
- In the event of a chemical spill in a school building, students and employees must be moved to a safe location immediately, using fire drill procedures.
- Try to address the spill at the lowest level possible. Calling the Fire Department escalates it to the highest level, which may be unnecessary for many types of spills.
- Call Fire Department and appropriate district personnel, if necessary, depending on the severity of the spill.
- Once the Fire Department is called, all control of the situation is taken out of district hands.
- When a chemical spill occurs, either inside or outside of the school building, follow the advice of the authorities (Fire Department, County Health Department, etc.)
- Wait for permission from authorities before returning to the school building.
- Check MSDS Sheets.
Hazardous Materials Information:
- The school district will provide Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) training to inform all employees of potentially hazardous materials in the work place.
- Each location has a Chemical Hazard Notebook that contains MSDS for hazardous products. All substance containers should be clearly labeled. Hazardous chemicals transferred to other containers must be labeled.
If a student ingests a poisonous substance:
- Call Poison Control Center: 1-800-732-6985
- Call parents.
- Check with school nurse.
Following any emergency, please fill out Incident Report form and send to Business Office.
Contact the District Office at (360) 383-2000. Support will be provided and will also handle initial communication with the news media. Refer all calls from the news media to the Superintendent or his designee. All news releases will come from the central office. The Superintendent or designee will be the spokesperson.
In Case of Emergency . . . Dial 911