June 15, 2022
Dear students, staff, families and community,
This is my last weekly update for this school year. Expect to start hearing from me again the week of August 15. If you have any questions between now and then, don’t hesitate to call me at (360) 617-4600 or email me. I plan to take some time off, but I probably won’t get too far off the grid for very long. Don’t forget to check our website regularly for updates.
Here are some important reminders for our last six days of the 2021/22 school year:
- Graduation: June 16 at 6:30 p.m.
- Field Days and various fun activities will be going on at individual schools next week. Check with your child’s school if you need information.
- All elementary Chromebooks should be checked in as soon as possible.
- All Hotspots that are not checked out for the summer need to be returned as soon as possible. Hotspots will be turned off and not functional over the summer unless special arrangements have been made for educational purposes.
- June 23 is the last day of school. Early dismissal for grades 7-12 is 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. for grades K-6.
The Mount Baker School District Board of Directors has appointed Abby Yates to represent District 1. When there is an open position mid election due to a resignation, a replacement is appointed until that position is up for a regular election. Abby will be sworn in and officially begin at our next meeting on June 23 at 6:00 p.m. Abby is a member of the Nooksack Tribe and a Mount Baker High School Graduate. She has two children attending our District. As a business owner and leader, she has been a strong advocate for children and our community as well as dozens of indigenous communities. Her leadership, business expertise, and true understanding of the Mount Baker School Community will make her an asset to our District as a School Board Director.
June 19 is Juneteenth. The video I AM THE HOPE AND THE DREAM is on our website if you would like to learn more about the history and significance of Juneteenth. The film contributes to our community by being a tool for learning, and by showcasing some of Whatcom County’s Black community leaders who are sharing their experience of Juneteenth.
A heartfelt thank you to all of you! I truly appreciate your support and am honored to serve the Mount Baker Community! I hope you all have a wonderful summer!
Happy Father’s Day to all of our amazing Baker Dads!
Mary Sewright firstname.lastname@example.org (360) 617-4600